While there are films like ‘Darr’ in Bollywood, which is known to be one of the most entertaining psychological thrillers of old and modern times, we have to agree that it portrayed a mental illness in a really wrong manner.
But we are really lucky to have some sensible filmmakers who have gone out of their way to study and research about some serious mental health issues and portrayed them on-screen in a perfect manner. They showed us that despite suffering from such illness which are really hard to overcome, life can be still beautiful and there are people in your life which will help you in every step to get you through it. Be it, Autism, Schizophrenia or depression, these films have given us a new ray of hope by highlighting such issues and also taught us that there’s nothing wrong in talking openly about these mental issues. In fact, it’s a boon!
On World Mental Health Day, here we have a list of movies which threw the light on some serious mental issues.
1. Dear Zindagi: A young girl going through ups and downs in her life, having family issues seeks help from a counselor which actually cures her with some unconventional methods. Shah Rukh Khan as the mental health counselor came in like a ray of hope in the life of all the girls who are going through mid-20’s crisis.
2. Barfi: Priyanka Chopra as an autistic patient who was ignored by her family proved to be a revelation on-screen. On top of it, a great love story!
3. Heroine: We all are aware of the rise and fall of the actresses in the film industry and also the fact that most of the actresses’ career is short-lived. What actually goes inside their minds and what fame does to a person that is what Madhur Bhandarkar’s Heroine is all about.
4. My Name Is Khan: One of the best films and performances by Shah Rukh Khan. Do we really need to say anything more?
5. Taare Zameen Par: Dyslexia, by far is a very rare and too difficult to understand mental illness. Kudos to Aamir Khan and of course to the star of the film, Darsheel Safari, who made this film a super hit and a refreshing watch anytime it’s on your TV screen.
6. Tere Naam: Failed in Love, and a truly heartbreaking love story. This was the best performance by Salman Khan who goes mad because of the demise of his love interest and he is not able to overcome such a huge downfall in life. Tears Just watch the film already!
7. Black: Personal tutor of the deaf, mute and blind Rani Mukerji, Amitabh Bachchan is struck with Alzheimer’s disease-like a lightning but that doesn’t stop Rani or Amitabh to achieve their one and only dream!
8. Kartik Calling Kartik: Though this movie didn’t do too well at the box office, Kartik Calling Kartik was the best portrayal of Schizophrenia in Indian cinema. Farhan Akhtar’s alter-ego helps him to become confident and get the girl of his dreams initially but becomes a problem later. A must watch we must say.
Mental Health is something which we should not ignore and it’s high time to start talking about it openly. Coming back to the films, which one of these is going to be on your Must-Watch List?